Thursday, February 8, 2018

Six and Three Quarter Months

     Mother has been at WestBrook Acres now nearly 7 months. It doesn't seem possible. She never wanted to be in a nursing home but there are many things in life we never want to happen, yet it does. Unfortunately right now the flu is full bloom everywhere including one case in the dementia unit. Therefore family & friends are discouraged from visiting. That's been going on now for almost 2 weeks. Ironically the staff tells us that she seems to be coping well but I'm sure she's really missing my Dad. I know he's missing her. If he were to get it or bring it in though that could kill her. They've already given all residents Tamiflu, as a preventative, in case others catch it due to numerous positive cases in the main area of WBA.

     My Dad's brother David passed away about 3 weeks ago due to complications of COPD & pneumonia. My cousin Hannah is now left to grieve in their rental house alone with her Dad's dog. She had been taking care of him for the last couple years as his emphysema deteriorated. Her brother Adam is a good guy but is of no help really since he's a convicted felon for drugs and recovering addict. He's also quite co-dependent in his current relationship. Dad is helping her though a bit financially until the life insurance comes in and I think she'll get through it in time.

     Chase, My youngest, is believed to have Dysthymia. Persistent Depression it's also known as. My therapist has suspected him having it for quite some time when she saw him and it's only progressed. It's really affecting our family, his school and his relationships with friends, family. He refuses to get help though and he's 17 1/2. My therapist tells me I should force him to at least see his pediatrician and see if they can get him to agree to medication. He admits to me he has depression and anxiety but that he can handle it. Yet his anger has erupted to the point where he throws things including his phone. Once at the couch but missed and broke the picture window. He's now having to replace the $600 it costs to fix. He's not getting up for school, claims he has insomnia yet when he gets to sleep finally he doesn't wake up and stays in bed for long periods of time especially on weekends. He's withdrawn. He doesn't think that anyone likes him and that's he's naturally just a dick making it difficult to be happy or friendly. I'm in the process of convincing him to see the Doctor. I can't force him to take medication so I don't know that even going will make a change. I fear for him.

     My cousin Meghann had a partial mastectomy the other day to remove breast cancer. She's recovering well at home now but I worry about her. She has to do chemo I believe but will not need radiation. I hope that stays true because that is what we think brought on Mother's dementia. They radiated her brain though as a preventative without really realizing that it was also cooking her brain at the same time. And though it could bring about these things 'down the road' they were told, who knew it was only 5 years before she was in full blow Dementia. Making one wonder if the preventative was more lethal than the disease. Either were terminal.





No comments: